Brighton and Hove’s Wildlife Forum Constitution (Adopted 27 June 2017)
The name of the group will be Brighton and Hove’s Wildlife Forum – BHWF.
To promote nature conservation and biodiversity across Brighton and Hove.
- To raise funds.
- To liaise with local authorities, other statutory and non-statutory groups to achieve objectives.
- To invite and receive contributions.
- An AGM will be held annually.
- At least four General Meetings (open to all Members) will be held each year, one of which may be extended to include an AGM.
- All BHWF members are welcome to attend any of the General Meetings.
- There will be Committee Meetings at least every six months.
- Meeting dates will be set for the coming year every December and Agendas will be publicised at least 14 days before each meeting.
- Items for the agenda, or motions to meetings, must be given in writing no less than 21 days before the meeting.
- All meetings will be chaired by the Chairman, or in the Chairman’s absence by the Secretary or by a member agreed by the meeting if both are absent.
- The Committee may unanimously and for good reason terminate membership of any individual provided that said individual has the right to be heard by the Committee, accompanied by a friend, before a final decision is made.
- A quorum for a General Meeting will be 3 members. In the event of the meeting failing to achieve a quorum, business may be discussed and proposals put to the next meeting for ratification. In the event of two successive meetings being inquorate the second meeting may call a Special General Meeting which will be deemed to be quorate.
- A Special General Meeting will be called if asked for, in writing, by ten members. The item or items for discussion at a General Meeting will be made available to members no fewer than 10 days beforehand.
- The AGM of the BHWF shall be held in each year at such time and place as the BHWF shall determine, but not more than 15 months following the preceding meeting.
- At least 14 days notice of the AGM shall be given to all members of the BHWF. All members are entitled to attend and vote at the meeting.
- Nominations for election of the Committee must be made by members of the BHWF in writing by at least 21 days prior to the AGM.
- At the Annual General Meeting business shall include the election of the Officers, up to 6 Committee Members, consideration of the accounts, and a written annual report summarising the work done by the BHWF and its Officers.
- With the exception of changes to the constitution, all questions that arise at any meeting will be decided by a simple majority of those present and entitled to vote. If the number of votes cast on each side is equal the chair of the meeting shall have an additional casting vote.
- Any motion must have a proposer and seconder before it is discussed or voted on.
- All voting will be by show of hands of attending members at the AGM, Committee and General meetings
The Officers of the BHWF will be:
- General Secretary
The Committee shall consist of the Officers, along with such potential occasional roles as;
- Publicity Officer.
- Committee Members without any specific role.
- Any BHWF member wishing to be an Officer or member of the Committee must have a proposer and a seconder who are members of the BHWF.
- The role of the Committee will be to manage the financial affairs of the BHWF, and any other business delegated to it at the Annual General Meeting or at a General Meeting.
- A quorum will be 3 members.
- Any Committee member who without reasonable cause fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Committee shall be deemed to have resigned from the Committee.
- The Committee may appoint persons to fill vacancies which occur during the year, such appointments terminating at the following AGM.
- All Committee members shall be aged over 18 years.
- No member of the Committee will receive remuneration or personally benefit from any activities or contracts entered into by the Committee.
- An account will be maintained on behalf of the BHWF at a bank agreed by the Committee. Signatories to the account will be the Chairman, General Secretary and Treasurer and each cheque will require two signatures.
- Records of income and expenditure will be maintained by the Treasurer and a financial statement given at the AGM.
- All money raised by the BHWF will be spent as agreed by the Committee.
- The Forum is not able to take any form of loan.
- The Forum’s financial year shall run from 1 January to 31 December. [NB: amended 16vii2019 from ’The Forum’s financial year shall run from April 1 to March 31′]
- The Forum shall have the power to obtain, collect and receive funds by means of contributions, donations, subscriptions, investment, deeds of covenant, legacies, grants, to be utilised in direct furtherance of the objects of the BHWF. The BHWF shall not undertake any permanent trading activities in raising funds for the object of the BHWF.
- Any proposal to amend the Constitution must be given to the General Secretary in writing at least 21 days before it is to be discussed.
- The proposal must be circulated with the notice of the General Forum Meeting.
- Any proposal to amend the constitution will require a two-thirds majority of those present and entitled to vote.
- If a meeting, by a simple majority, decides that it is necessary to close down the Forum it may call a Special General Meeting to do so, giving at least twenty-one days’ notice to members.
- The sole business of this meeting will be to dissolve the BHWF and the Treasurer will, after paying all legitimate expenses, disburse remaining funds to a group with similar interests chosen by a majority of the members at a final meeting.
Brighton & Hove
27 June 2017
The Officers of the BHWF are:
- Chairman. Kim Greaves
- Vice Chair. Sylvia Davidson
- General Secretary. John Patmore
- Treasurer. Richard Partridge